Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Cumberland River Nymphing

I did my weekly trip to the Cumberland yesterday. It was hot and humid on the river.  Fog started to develop in mid-afternoon but then the sun came out again and burned it off again.  Threatened thunderstorms didn't develop.

Since I haven't had much luck lately with streamers, I spent almost the whole day throwing a double nymph combination (size 16 Pheasant Tail, size 20 Copper John) under an indicator and split shot. Action was OK, not as good as last time.  I got three fish to the boat and lost four or five others before I could reach them with the net.  For a while there were quite a few midges flitting about.  Every now and then I'd see a mayfly or caddis.  A few trout were eating something either on or just under the surface.  Could have been dead midges on the surface or some kind of emerger.  I did one long drift with dry flies:  a hopper and a light Cahill, which resembled the mayflies I was seeing.  My dry fly casting isn't the greatest but because I was in a boat drifting at the exact speed of the current, once my flies plopped down on the surface they ought to have looked pretty natural.  I got a couple drifts right over the top of some fish that had surfaced a few seconds earlier.  But nothing came up for my flies.  Since the nymphs were working, more or less, I went back to them late in the day, when I caught a small brown trout and a bigger rainbow.  Video is available at:

http://youtu.be/vZ3H-pxWEDw

No comments:

Post a Comment